Pages

A journey through the wild ride of being a first time mother

You can read every book on the shelf about being a parent and what to expect with your new baby, but the only true preparation is experiencing it first hand.



Thursday, May 16, 2013

Words are hurtful

This kind of ties into yesterdays post a little bit. I was going to do another OK Thursday but wanted to talk about bullying instead.

Look at that sweet face :)

I dread when Kendall starts school. Not because she will be in school all day but of the people she will be around. Kids are mean, and it amazes me the words that come out of their mouths. I have seen several things in the last few days about how rude other kids are to people who they call their "friends." 

It is a serious problem, because people are different doesn't mean they deserve to be treated differently. I was afraid when Kendall had lazy eyes that people would make fun of her. No one did, but EVERYONE asks oh why is your baby wearing a patch and you have to go in and explain it over and over. It may not be bullying but its along the same lines.

The reason i wanted to write about this today is last night before i went to bed i saw a post about a young girl who has weight problems. Some people cant help the way they look. I have known this little girl since she was probably 3 years old and she is such a kind spirited person and is truly a very nice person. The things i saw being said about her by girls her own age were horrible. It made me really sad, i suggested to her sister that they should report the girl to the school and police. I would hope because there is such a tremendous problem right now with bullying that it would be taken very seriously. The way this girl said the words to her was intended to be cruel and hurtful.

That is the reason why i am scared for Kendall when she goes to school. It is hard but we are trying to raise her the best we can and to the be kindest person she can be. Not all parents raise their children that way. Kids learn by example and if you are treating people badly then most likely they will too.

 Girls are intentionally mean to one another and do not care how it makes the other people feel. Lets go back to the basics and reteach everyone that "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" it really is that simple and more people should be mindful of that.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't that the truth...it's not surprising to me that kids act that way, because their parents-and even grandparents in some cases, teach them that. I think you know what I'm talking about. All you can do is teach Kendall the best you can, and to stick up for others who are being bullied. She'll be able to handle her own, just like her aunties did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes and High school is the worst!! I sincerely believe that it is our job as parents to teach and train our kids(the ones that we have the control over) to not be that way! You wouldn't believe how many parents that I have observed that are just as rude and childish! I teach my kids to "Be the change that they want to see in the world!" I even have that quote on my living room wall right above the T.V. so that will remind us all each and every day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops...this posted under my son's google account on accident:( ~Sheila Whaley

      Delete