Pages

A journey through the wild ride of being a first time mother

You can read every book on the shelf about being a parent and what to expect with your new baby, but the only true preparation is experiencing it first hand.



Thursday, November 17, 2011

Things you need

I was thinking today and I remembered I was going to make a post about things you do and don't need for a baby, these are all things I did/didn't use:

Must Haves:



  • Changing table: I use this every single day, I have a couple different pads so I can alternate between them and wash them. Also it has shelves for storage (which i put baskets on). They are designed to be a good height so you don't strain your back.



  • Crib: This is obviously a given. You cant live without it.



  • Swing: This is a lifesaver, K didn't like it when she was really but once she hit about 2-3 months she loved it. I would put her in and she would fall right to sleep and then i could take her out and put her in bed. Saved me a lot of rocking and walking.


  • Bouncy Chair: This is great for when you are the only one home and need to get things done. I would stick her in the bathroom while I was taking a shower or in the kitchen, very handy to have. I almost wish they had a bigger size for when she grew out of it.


  • Bassinet: We didn't have one of these at first and so the first few nights home K slept in a laundry basket in my bed with me. The crib is just to big for them, when they are that little and plus its almost like having separation anxiety when they are that far from you.


  • What to Expect when you're Expecting: The book. Now a days you can just look something up online real quick. I liked having the book cause it was month by month with all sorts of questions that you might have and it was easier then running to the computer to look something up.


  • Cloth Diapers: and not for the purpose of diapering. K spit up a lot, every single time she ate and sometimes in between. She stopped when she was about 6 months old. These are so absorbent and can clean up big or little messes.


  • Robeez: These shoes are amazing, they are super comfy for babies and they make it so socks don't fall off.


  • Breast Pump: It was hard with this at first cause K didn't like bottles and it took a while for her to get used to them, but this makes it so you can leave her for longer then a couple hours and know that she will be able to eat. I don't use it anymore. But very good to have.


  • Highchair: Good place for them to play while you are busy in the kitchen. Also it makes feeding so much easier.


  • Walker: Helps strengthen their leg muscles and if your child is very independent like mine it is a must. She wants to do everything on her own.


  • Baby Gates: If you have stairs or rooms baby cant go or want to block off a safe area for them to play, these are a must.


Must NOT Have:



  • Wipe Warmer: I had one of these I got at a garage sale so I didn't spend a lot of money on it. It was such a pain you keep having to soak the little pad in warm water and if you didn't do it, it would ruin the wipes on the bottom of the stack turning them brown. Just hold the wipe in your hand for a few seconds or blow warm air on it.


  • Diaper Gene: I started off with one of these and it is great i do recommend it. But I was trying to cut costs any way I could and I didn't want to keep having to buy refills. I now just have a garbage with a lid and i would suggest using odor blocking garbage bags.


  • Boppy Pillow: Not necessary at all! Use a regular pillow. There is absolutely no point in spending $35 for a pillow and $10/each for extra covers. Save your money.


  • What to Expect the First Year: The Book, pointless, every baby that first year does things at their own pace. I didn't even read the whole thing. I liked the What to Expect When your Expecting so i bought this one thinking it would be just as good.


  • Bumbo: Again save your money. I didn't really need one of these since K could sit up on her own since she was 5 months old and from then on she sat in a highchair or a walker.


  • Jumper: I would rather have the walker. A jumper is a lot of fun for them but they cant go anywhere. I think it is more geared to babies who cant figure out the walking motion yet. But they do eventually get to that point, so I think the walker would be the way to go.



  • Baby Monitor: I have mixed feelings about this. I did use it A LOT and still use it from time to time. But at the same time i don't really NEED it. I can hear her crying down the hall without having the monitor on. Its not a necessity but it does come in handy. I also use it at night occasionally. But the batteries die easily and its a pain to constantly be replacing them.

All of the things listed above are things i found helpful or not helpful at all. Every baby has different likes and dislikes. All the things on the Not list are things i thought i would need (some of them i didn't buy cause i couldn't afford them) mostly i thought i would need them cause "Everyone" had them and i thought i should have them too. That is not the case. I try to be as reasonably as possible with my money and have a hard time spending $100 on something that is only used for a couple months. It might helps some of you out in the future when you are looking to buy things for a baby.

1 comment: