Pages

A journey through the wild ride of being a first time mother

You can read every book on the shelf about being a parent and what to expect with your new baby, but the only true preparation is experiencing it first hand.



Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Discipline

I watch the Today show every morning when i am getting ready for work, well its more like listening from the bathroom down the hall and when i hear a story that catches my interest i go watch it. One of the ones this morning was about a lady who rather harshly I think disciplined her son for lying to her, and there was video of it, I have no clue how they had it. She would give him cold showers and make him drink hot sauce, not just put a drop on his tongue she would literally pour it down his throat. They are trying to send this lady to jail. But It makes me wonder. It makes you think about all the different styles of punishment out there. I am not completely opposed to spanking, I don't think of it as abuse but i am not going to do it for no reason, she would have to have done something pretty bad to deserve a spanking. There is a difference between swatting your child on the behind for doing something wrong and beating them for doing something wrong. When did spanking get turned into such a bad thing? The lady above is taking things to the extreme side, no child deserves to be treated that way. Is time out more effective, yes it could be if your child is throwing a tantrum and needs to calm down.

I think each parent has the right to choose how they want to discipline their children. But they also should know the difference between disciplining and hurting them. You are the only one who can tell yourself how it should be done and if there are 2 parents it should be done equally as a team.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Mich, how I wish more of the parents I worked with knew as much as you...it would make my job a lot easier!

    ReplyDelete