Pages

A journey through the wild ride of being a first time mother

You can read every book on the shelf about being a parent and what to expect with your new baby, but the only true preparation is experiencing it first hand.



Sunday, July 10, 2011

Weekend off

This past weekend I got a weekend off. Jason had a softball tournament in a town called Anaconda and its not really a very family friendly environment. Things get a lot wild and its just not a place to bring a baby (although some people do bring their families, i think they are crazy those kids are liable to see anything). I had known I wanted to go to this softball tournament since I got to go last year, it was a lot of fun, teams come from North Dakota to Washington and everywhere in between so there is lots of good competition.

About a month ago I put a bug into my parents ear that I would like to go and if it would be possible for them to watch Kendall for the whole weekend. I wanted to give them plenty of time in advance to think about it and decide. Every now and then i would bring it up just to remind them and they would think about it a little more and then finally last week they decided they would watch her so i could go.

Jason and I left Friday around noon and drove the 2 hours and set up camp once we got there. A select few teams have games Friday evening but most of the excitement starts Saturday morning. Of course Jason's team got a Friday night game so once we got into town we set up camp and then headed over to the field for their game. Because this is such a large tournament with probably near to 200 teams they have games in surrounding towns (Butte and Deerlodge). We got lucky and only had 1 game in Butte and the rest were in the main complex in Anaconda which has 6 fields. It was so weird going away without our baby, when we first left i kept looking in the backseat of the car as if i needed to check on her when really it was just the dog rolling around back there. They ended up winning 3 of their 5 games. Because they won their first 3 games we had a lot of town time sitting in camp and watching other teams play. If they had lost they would have had to play a lot more games and they all would have been out of town. There is a definite advantage to being in the winners bracket so that is where they try to stay. Unfortunately this morning didn't go so well a few of the players had a little to much fun last night and couldn't manage to catch a ball to save their lives, it was very frustrating to everyone on the team and all the fans watching to watch outfielders dropping balls and making error after error. I am ashamed to admit this, but as much as i wanted them to win i also wanted them to lose out. I had no idea because of how many teams there were that the championship game wouldn't be until 6:30pm Sunday night. I couldn't be gone that late i had to get home to my baby who i missed so much.

Now that I have rambled on forever about the weekend, the moral of the post was after having a baby and her being the center of attention for the last 5 months, it was very nice to have a weekend off where it was just Jason and I (and well about 1000 other people crammed into a tiny town). I missed her every second i was gone and couldn't wait to get home to her and boy was she happy to see me when i walked in the door. I don't think I will get that much time "off" for a really long time now and I am fine with that, i missed her to much.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you guys got to get out of town and just have fun together!

    ReplyDelete